The A-Z of PCOS Symptoms and How to Treat Them Naturally

The A-Z of PCOS Symptoms and How to Treat Them Naturally

Sunday 15 August 2010

Food Stuff

I went shopping today. I was going to wait until I got my PCOS book and figure out exactly what I'm supposed to be eating, but there wasn't alot in the house that I could muster up that would be good for me.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I don't like fruit or veg. I am a very fussy eater and it isn't just fruit or veg that I don't like. However, I realise I need to incorporate alot of stuff into my diet that I don't like.

Here's a quick list of stuff that I wouldn't usually have that I don't like:

Special K Cereal (I've never actually tried this so can't really say that I don't like it).
Kiwi Fruit
Melon
Lettuce
Natural Yogurt

I also bought some things that I do like that I am allowed to eat including fresh chicken, fresh salmon, and fresh ham.

I also bought some potatoes to have boiled with the salmon. I don't like boiled potatoes either (I prefer roasted) but my boyfriend insists I have them boiled as they're healthier.

My boyfriend has been amazing since I found out about this and he is very supportive. I don't know what I'd do without him. We went for a walk together before in the park. It was only for about half an hour but it made me feel a bit better about myself. We're also going to do a bit of "boxing" on the Wii later. He is great <3

I'm going to try and make an appointment with my doctor tommorrow as my report from the hospital should have got to him by now. I'm hoping he'll give me more information instead of just prescribing me with the pill and telling me to lose weight.

So, what I've had for food today is:

Breakfast: Cornflakes, Orange Juice
Dinner: Cheese on Wholemeal toast (no butter)
Tea: Scrambled egg on Wholemeal toast (the plan was to have the salmon with potatoes but by the time we got home from our walk it was getting a bit too late in the day to cook something for a long period of time, so we opted for the eggs as they're quick and simple).

Thanks again for reading x

3 comments:

  1. potatoes in moderation are healthy, however half of the healthiest part of the potato is in the peel itself. Potato peels contain high concentrations of beneficial phenloic acids. Microwaving or boiling an unpeeled potato preserves more of its health benefits than oven baking, which breaks down its vitamins and minerals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nyx, thanks for your comment. I'm still learning about foods and what not to eat etc. with PCOS, so your input is greatly appreciated and taken on board :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fellow PCOSer and I have to say ... put the bowl if cereal DOWN!!! While Special K is good for the common man ... for us, corn is still a carbohydrate that we shouldn't have. Instead, for that boost of energy in the morning, focus on getting high levels of protein into your diet. A protein smoothie is great to accomplish this. Just a scoop of protein powder, a 1/2 banana and some berries, a splash of water, and a little crushed ice. I'm telling you, you'll feel the difference right away!!!
    Also try making your own protein bars at home or buy Natures Valley Protein bars in the store. The homemade ones use oats which is a whole grain (better for us) and the Natures Valley ones are mostly nuts. The key is the protein! Go to PCOSDiva.com for the at home recipe ... it's delicious and has saved me from the pitfalls of a low protein diet.
    Also, a breakfast high in protein will limit carb cravings later in the day!

    And AVOID POTATOES! Whoever told you potatoes were okay prepared anyway wasn't familiar with PCOS. For most people, yes, your advice about potatoes being unpeeled is correct. But for us PCOSers, very wrong. Potatoes are filled with simple carbs that our bodies cannot process. If you must have them, stick with red potatoes .... but it is so much easier to have broccoli or caulifour than to gorge on things that keep us sick.

    In the end ... cut out as many carbs as you can, limiting yourself to around 30g a day. Your Dr., if you have a good one, can help you form this diet. If you want bread, go for whole grain but keep the quantities limited.

    ReplyDelete